Heart Cleanser


“I am under vows to you, O God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.”
Psalm 56:12-13
Tonight I read these lines as Joe and I lay in bed ready to close our eyes for the evening.  The words shook the core of my being as I read them.  This is my story.  It’s my life described in the words of King David.  Let me break this down for you:
“I am under vows to you, O God;”
Before Joe and I started dating, I made vows to God and was learning about his love and promises to me.  Prior to this, I left a toxic relationship and destructive lifestyle in exchange for a “new life” in Christ.  I was always in search for a new life of my own making, but refused to trust that God’s unconditional love was there for me and I didn’t need to desperately seek it out.  What a relief to find security and love in a world starved for intimacy.
“I will present my thank offerings to you.”
When I returned home from my trip to Cincinnati recently, Joe was very excited to show me a bike he wanted to order for me online.  I was touched by his sentiment and quietly thanked God for the love demonstrated through my husband. I am thankful to be able to travel to places like Greece, Turkey, Italy, etc.  I know my life is a gift for which I am grateful.
“For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling,”
My life before knowing Christ was different shades of grey.  It was truly a life of brokenness and quiet desperation.  Actually it wasn’t even quiet.  To this day, I am easily led astray doing things I would rather not do, stumbling...Yet I know that God upholds me and direct my steps as I whisper prayers in my heart for his helping hand.  He restored and restores me.
“That I may walk before God in the light of life.”
This is the best line of all.  Do you know how wonderful it is to be cleansed..to have a heart cleansing?  To not need to hide anything?  It is the most liberating experience in all the world.  In the Garden, Adam tried to cover himself before God due to his shame.  What did God do?  He made a covering for Adam to take away the feelings of guilt and shame so they could have a restored relationship.  This is the whole message of Christ.  Now we can “walk before God in the light of life.”




Comments

Popular Posts