Invitation to the thirsty

Earlier I had some "downtime" so I decided to catch up on some of my favorite blogs looking for creative inspiration.  I spent about fifteen or twenty minutes looking at all the colorful pages of new fashion, design, beautifully dressed beds and decorated homes, and I found myself...uninspired.  Just the opposite of what I had hoped for.   I normally find so much inspiration in beautiful things.

I sat looking at the computer screen in utter dullness.  There was no life being had here.  Everything felt meaningless to me.  Actually all the pretty things made me sick. 

I've had this experience before.  I remember one day walking into our new house on Forest Avenue with freshly painted walls, pictures hung and all our favorite things in place - only to discover none of it meant anything at all.  I walked through the house acknowledging that nothing I owned truly brought me fulfillment.  At last, I made my way to my husband and he was the only thing in the house that truly mattered at all. 

I don't know how to  best describe these moments that I would call "emptiness", but I am glad they come to me to wake me up to the truth that the material world does not satisfy.  I quickly closed my computer screen and layed on the sofa to connect my heart to God, and to ask him for renewal.  To renew my mind and heart and allow me to experience life in Him.

Have you ever gone to a place or person looking for your normal dose of comfort or inspiration, only to leave feeling empty and dry?


“Come, all you who are thirsty,
   come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
   come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
   without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
   and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
   and you will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
   listen, that you may live. 

- Isaiah 55: 1-3

Comments

  1. Debbie! Thanks so much for sharing. I have definitely had these moments, perhaps more than I care to. I appreciate the reminder of their importance and purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts