Summer Reading for Moms & Dads

"Knowledge is power..."

Entering motherhood was such a vulnerable experience.  I often wrestled with doubt throughout my pregnancy - wondering if I could be a fully loving and committed Mom.  Coming from a dysfunctional home (like so many of us), becoming a Mom was intimidating. I found myself clinging to scriptures such as "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and reminding myself that God would be present and walk beside me (growing me in love, patience, kindness, and self-control).

I am so thankful for friends and family who gave me recommendations for good books and child-rearing practices.   Now I will pass on a few of my favorites!



Most of us agree that we can not afford to to have a laissez-faire approach to one of the most important jobs we have been given - to bring up wholesome well-loved children in a broken world.  We can't afford to be passive either as parenting demands our full hearts, energy, and wisdom.  This is why I read, and why I recommend it as one of the most important disciplines one can acquire.

Ps.  See this little bambino?  Apparently, what she needs more than anything else is unconditional love.  I show this love through positive eye contact, physical affection, focused attention, and filling her love tank.  Once she is full of love, she will trust me and be easier to discipline and guide.  I learn to listen to her and give her choices instead of demands, and help her to make the best choices possible as this is a skill set she will need to thrive in life.

My greatest goal in life is to love my child as best as possible and see her fulfill her highest potential.  Maybe someday she will want to be a Mom too... or maybe a Doctor, Teacher, Dancer or Make-Up Artist.  Whatever she does, she will always have her Mom's love deposited in the core of her being.  That's a sure thing, kiddo!

Comments

Popular Posts