Finding Nemo

I may be spending too much time at the National Aquarium these days, but I have been thinking about this scene from Nemo lately.

How many of you can relate?  We want to rule our own lives.  We don't like to be told No.  We don't like limitations.  We are (so frequently) short sighted.


Nemo's Dad is clearly being paranoid, right?  He is overreacting when his son slightly swims out to open sea.  The teacher seems to think things are under control.  Yet they didn't know the true risk and dangers waiting just moments ahead of them.

The truth is no one loves Nemo more than his own Father.  No one wants Nemo to experience more joy, happiness and fun than his own Dad.  Yet Nemo lacked trust, and chose to defy his father at his own detriment.  This is our human story that began at the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve.

We have a heavenly Father that has given us a wild and adventurous world to enjoy.  He has precepts, desires and commands for you.  Commands like loving your neighbor as yourself, honoring your parents, giving God your tithes and staying faithful to your spouse.  This is not to limit your freedom, but to give you a more abundant freedom.  How many of us remain defiant and short sighted? 

I know many people who claim to be Christians, but don't know God's word, seek it out or desire to walk in obedience to him.  It is like a married person with an open relationship.  It is a superficial relationship that has lost meaning and value:

"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."  Matthew 15:8

"Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” John 14:21

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I
 have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  John 10:10

My prayer is that we can all learn to trust and obey God so we can experience true freedom!

Comments

Popular Posts