Storm windows of life

You know what pleases me?  Open windows that allow the feeling of the great outdoors to sweep through the indoors.  As spring approaches, I want nothing more than to open the windows, smell the earth, and allow the sun to warm me while I am having a glass of basil lemonade.  Europeans understand this value and often have French windows and doors throughout their homes.

I like our modest home in Wyoming, Ohio.  It has Norman Rockwell charm, a big back yard and two bay windows in the front and back of the house.  The only thing missing is the French windows.  I can't open my damn windows, because they are storm windows.  They have an extra layer of glass to protect us from storms and cold air.  I resent this safety measure.  I also resent playgrounds that have too much plastic and too little options for fun.   My question is why do we have a tendency to overprotect?  I don't live in Oklahoma or by the sea, so why do I have extra-thick storm windows blocking my already limited access to nature?  Sure, it's safe, but so are prison cells.  I have thought about the various kinds of prisons we build for ourselves thinking we are safe, but in fact we are missing out on freedom, beauty, and the excitement of risk.  

I see my storm windows the same way I see my desire to self-protect.  I use defense mechanisms as a way to protect myself against pain and fear of rejection.  But guess what's happening?  Those storm windows are being replaced.  I am choosing an open heart...french windows for my soul!  

Will this make me vulnerable?  Yes, very much so, but it will also make me more creative.  I would much rather open the window and give access to my truest self, than stay in a self-made prison.   Ultimately, one will create out of their own heart and the truest essence of themselves.  I don't want anything blocking the way of my heart being open, pure and fully alive.  

Tonight I watched an awesome video podcast, "Artisan: Soul - the Essence of Art" by Erwin McManus of Mosaic in L.A.  I highly recommend you check it out.  You can download by following this pathway: Go to Itunes > podcasts > religion & spirituality > christianity > Erwin McManus.  

Why am I contemplating all of this in Jerusalem?  I have no idea.  However, I will post more pictures tomorrow.  Hopefully, we will be going to the Dead Sea if it hasn't flooded.  Israel has seen more rain this year than in fifty years.  They call this a "blessing" despite our grumbling about the weather.

Comments

  1. Once again your post speaks to my heart. I like this imagery - french windows for my soul.
    So glad you shared once again. Also, I had to laugh at your mention of Mosaic. I was literally just on their website an hour ago. Now I will be going back to get the podcast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby - you and I are going to love their new series devoted to artisan as you are a true artist, encourager and counselor. Much inspiration awaits us via Mosaic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts