Attack Dog


This is a photo of what I encountered coming back from my morning walk with Seattle and Coco.  There was a strange dog standing near the bushes as we turned the corner to walk home.  I noticed the stray dog appeared to be unsettled and without an owner.

As we walked past the dog, he came towards us from behind.  Immediately I sensed the dog was aggressive - my instincts told me something was wrong with this dog.  Fortunately, before he could get to Coco, I pulled him up by the leash into my arms.  The dog began snapping his teeth and barking (in attack mode) toward Seattle (who was on the leash as well).

I began shouting in my loudest voice, "No" as I faced the dog knowing I needed to scare him off, yet being scared myself.   In the back of my mind, I remembered the last time I encountered an aggressive dog which charged at Seattle.

Joe and I were walking Seattle when a large aggressive dog ran toward us barking and showing his teeth.  I was in awe of Joe's courage as he grabbed the attacking dog by the collar and sat him on his ass in an instant.  Joe didn't show any signs of intimidation despite the the dog's large fangs and growling.  Joe shut it down.  The dog was in submission to Joe, because he wasn't afraid of the dog.

If not for that experience, I wouldn't have had the courage to face the attacking dog.  I stood my ground to the best of my ability shouting "No" until the dog ran away.  I was so relieved....I didn't know if the dog was going to bite me and if he had rabies, but I wasn't going to allow him to hurt my dogs and the only way I could protect us was to face the fear and stand my ground in good courage.  This is counter-intuitive.

I found these tips for "what to do" when encountering an angry dog.  I failed Step 1 as I looked the dog in the eye hoping this would demonstrate my fearlessness.  Everything else I did by my mimicking my husband's courage and response.

Here are PAO’s dog Attack Defense tips:
Step 1. Never, EVER, look an angry dog in the eye.
Step 2. Things NOT to do:
*Do not let him get behind you! Dogsnaturally attack from behind.
*Do not baby talk! That’s a sign of submission and gives the dog the upper hand.
*Do not smile! That’s as good as bearing your teeth to an attacking dog.
*Do not run away! You won’t get far!
Step 3. If the dog is charging, do the following.
*You MUST face the attacking dog! Turn your body towards it but don’t look at it. (This goes against our instincts, but it must be done.)
*Place anything you might be carrying infront of you. A purse, backpack, ect.
*Look away from the dog, but not WAY away. Head up, turned SLIGHTLY away from Fido, and keep him in your pereferal vision. The dog must be able to see your face to read it.
*Make yourself BIG. Put your hands on your hips and keep your chin up. Stand tall!
*Stay calm.
Step 4. Now comes the really interesting part.
You must “radiate” your intentions. Wait, don’t close the page! This isn’t newage mumbo-jumbo. Our bodies have been reflecting our thoughts through body language since our earliest ancenstors. So here is what you must think and feel:
“I do not want to fight, but I will not back down. This is my space. I do not want to intrude on yours.”
Repeat this in your mind over and over until you see a change in Spike.

For the record, Coco and Seattle were not afraid.  Coco looked something like this before I pulled him into my arms:


The angry dog would have eaten them both for breakfast, but they were willing to fight.  My sweet dogs don't realize they are gentle natured.  Sometimes they are deceived into thinking they are still wolves.

Lesson learned:  Face your fears and look your bullies straight in the eye.  They are the true cowards so you need not run away.  Stand firm and have a bold heart.

Comments

Popular Posts