Women are sacred. Sex is Sacred.


Years ago while studying Theology at Xavier University, I took a Women and Religion course.  It was wonderful to learn how Judaism and Christianity elevated the status of women in a revolutionary way.

This morning as I was doing my Bible study, I stumbled across a few verses in the Old Testament that made me smile.  It felt refreshing to my soul.

"No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute.  You must not bring the earnings of  female prostitute or male prostitute into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both." Deuteronomy 23

"The city (Jericho) and all that is in it are to be devoted to the Lord.  Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall be spared, because she hid the spies we sent." Joshua 6

Wow, this is the Old Testament!  

God is saying "My people shall not be prostituted, and I will not profit from a victim population - this is detestable!"  Then he takes Rahab (a prostitute), calls her to a higher purpose (CIA/military victor), and raises her status in Jericho now called to be devoted to God.  

Love it.

You know what else I love?  This vow between Moses and Zipporah (Exodus).  It is a beautiful exchange between husband and wife, and what I believe is God's desire for sex.  


This is a stark contrast to how we treat sex in our world today. It has become so perverted and polluted.  At the core, every woman wants to be loved and valued. We are worthy of commitment and a lasting love.  

Currently there is buzz in Cincinnati about a new show on A&E featuring swingers from Mason.   I can't imagine how it must feel to be in a marriage devoid of true intimacy and commitment. In Proverbs 30:23 an "unloved woman who is married" is intolerable.  It is just not ok. 

God has a higher calling for women, and a higher calling for sex.  There is so much more.  We settle for a fast food experience when we can be enjoying a chef created five course meal.   Sex is not only physical, but spiritual and an act of self surrender and worship.  It is meant to be a demonstration of true love.

"Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.  Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your bodies." - 1 Corinthians 6:18-20


I dedicate the above song to my husband, life partner, my sugar Joe Porter.

Comments

  1. Love your boldness in going against the worldly trends to declare God's truths regarding sex and love. So refreshing and so true. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts