A little bit of chicken fry

Sometimes it is important to establish what you're not to better understand who you are. Joe and I established what we are not on our recent trip to Cannes.  We are not aristocrats.  We are simple people.  We had the most fun just playing with Pepper in the room and having breakfast in the morning sunshine by the beach.  We thought we were doing something special by booking five star accommodations in Cannes.  We secured a great rate at a historic hotel.  Little did we know how uncomfortable we would feel in the midst of very posh and fancy people.  It felt a bit stuffy for us.  Our beaten up Jeep covered in dust and bugs seemed hilarious parked next to all the Ferraris, Lamborginis, and Porsches.  We felt like the Beverly Hillbillies.   

The hotel staff were super friendly and most of the people we met were kind to us, yet we didn't feel a sense of belonging with that crowd.  We felt like outsiders and were surprised they even let us in after seeing our car and the way were were (under) dressed.  We left our yacht, diamonds and grey poupon at home.  

The truth is we look forward to getting back to Michigan for family vacations in which we will enjoy a BBQ, game of cornhole and s'mores by the fire pit.  It doesn't take much to make us happy although we do appreciate a comfortable, clean bed and gourmet coffee for breakfast.  We also enjoy the great outdoors - hiking, biking, kayaking and anything adventurous and fun.  It took a five star vacation to realize we actually prefer a simpler kind of life.  We just want to be together, have some laughs and create some memories as a family.  I happen to believe that is what most people want, yet we tend to think the grass is greener on the other side.  I can tell you it isn't, but it is more expensive.

Confession - I must admit when I arrived the hotel, I was happy I brought my designer handbag with me (guess I thought I would better fit in). The more I thought about this, the more ridiculous it seemed.  Isn't it all so superficial?  Having expensive things doesn't add value to a person nor make them more important than anyone else.  Plus, snobbery is ultra ugly.  I appreciate good fashion and design, but I never want my sense of worth to be linked to the things I wear or own.  

I have included a music video.  If you like and get this music, you are my kind of people.  We should hang out sometime.




Comments

Popular Posts