Dating - What are your non-negotiables?

"You teach people how to treat you." 
Dr. Phil

Recently my 23-year old sister and I were having conversations about dating.  I could hardly believe as she described some of her dating experiences with young men out there.  I was so disappointed and frustrated not only with the men but with the women who expect so little of men in their lives.  

I asked my sister if she had a list of "the non-negotiables" - the things she is not willing to compromise in a dating relationship.  I created such a list when I was dating, it went like this:

1.) Must be a Christian, and have a genuine love relationship with God. 
2.) A commitment to sexual abstinence before marriage.  This weeded out a lot of men.  I was thankful to see them go. (If he can't control himself before marriage, chances are he won't be able to afterwards).
3.) Someone who had character and depth.  I wanted to date a man, not a boy.  Someone who was fully responsible - having a college education or solid career (demonstrations of hard work and discipline).  
4.) Integrity - Someone who was honest in all things.  In order to have a real relationship, you have to have honesty.  Lying was a deal breaker.
5.) Attraction - I needed to at least think the guy was cute and have the desire to kiss him.  I didn't have to have sparks and fireworks, but at least be attracted to him.  

Now, here is a video from dating guru Matthew Hussey on what it means to be a person of "high value" vs "low value".  All the single ladies, listen up...


I love listening to Matthew Hussey's dating advice.  I almost always agree with the man.  
Whatever you do, don't settle for less than God's best for you.  Always ask if this is truly God's best.

Happy Dating!

Comments

  1. Love your list..... hope we can transfer those non-negotiables to our girls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts