Fish tacos!



Tonight was my first attempt at Fish tacos!  Joe and I had a very memorable fish taco meal at a spanish restaurant in Sonoma Valley.  Have you ever had a meal you simply could not forget?  For example, on Susie Porter's 60th birthday dinner at John Robert's Pigalls I had a chocolate hazelnut dessert that I will long remember.  Fish tacos in California was also one of those meals.

Below is an amazing recipe which I made tonight.  I slightly altered the ingredients and cooking, but stayed true to the essence of the meal.  Here are the alterations - I used fresh coriander as a substitute for cilantro and thai peppers instead of jalepenos.  I also spread a small amount of greek yogurt on soft white taco shells (warm the shells).  I sauteed the white fish in brown butter instead of grilling!  Also added salt and pepper.

Hope you try it out!  Great summer dish.

Jay Blaskovich's Fish Taco recipe:
Make a spicy mango salsa ahead of time so it can meld flavors.
2 ripe mangos, diced.
1/2 white onion, diced
1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and minced
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
Squeeze of a 1/2 lime
Combine in a bowl and let sit for a few hours, overnight even better.

Season the fish (whatever looks good at the market) with lemon zest, basil and thyme, then grill. Cut into smaller pieces and put into warmed crispy shells, and top with shredded white cheddar cheese, julluenned napa cabbage (or cole slaw mix if youre in a pinch), mango salsa and a splash or two of the green Tabasco.

Serve with strong margaritas- just a good tequila, Cointreau, and freshly squeezed lime on the rocks. It's delish!


Comments

Popular Posts