Food is spiritual.

Today the Chef complimented me on arriving 15 minutes early for class, but later reprimanded me for wearing a watch.

He also preferred that I respond "Oui, Chef" after asking me to mix, cut, blend, clean or something.  As if "Cool" wasn't a good enough response.

My french cooking lessons started yesterday in the Chef's kitchen learning the theory of organic food and proper food preparation.  The Chef has a passion for food and described why it was important to grow organically as it's best for our health, the environment, the local economy and promotes fair wage practices.   He took the class a bit deeper in discussing the spirituality of food.  He described how we are to honor the earth and its substances and how each living thing has a soul.

I enjoyed his thoughts and the high regard he had for his field of expertise!  I also see food as being spiritual in that it is a reminder of how much God must love us to make the world such a creative, pleasurable place.  I had a Caprese salad the other day (tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil and olive oil) and it was a worshipful experience.  My heart was deeply grateful for the sweetness of the tomato.  I felt my heart was more at worship at the table than in the pew during Sunday morning service.

Before I went to bed last night, I opened my Bible (coincidentally) to Psalm 104:
"He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate-
bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine,
and bread that sustains his heart."

Comments

  1. What an awesome God we serve that He spoke to you about the purpose of your present adventure in scripture! That was not a coincidence. P.S. I submitted my final dissertation to my committee yesterday!!! Getting closer and closer. My defense is two weeks from today, May 4! YIPPEE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa - HUGE congratulations! I am bringing home a fantastic congratulatory bottle of wine next time we come home. Hoping for a September trip back to Cincinnati. I am stunned by how much you've accomplished over the past year. Amazed and stunned. Miss you loads.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts