Love at First Sight or Body Odor?


Do you believe in love at first sight?

Joe came home last night from Brussels after having dinner with a bright and in-love couple who said they experienced love at first sight.  Did they mean they were attracted to each other at first sight or did they truly know they loved that other individual in that instant?

Could it be that their hearts were already filled with love for that person since the moment they were created only to meet them and experience that love for them?

 Or...

Was it merely chemistry?  I once read an article in Psychology Today about all of the science behind attraction.  Their smell patterns could be attracting them to each other for mating purposes.  Seriously.

Have you ever met someone very attractive yet felt nothing?  It could be that you have similar immune systems and your pheromones and smell patterns are conflicting with each other.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=5894759&page=1

There is nothing quite like the "high" we get when we fall in love.  Our bodies are being pumped full of endorphins which keep us on an emotional and sexual high.  And then what?  Isn't love more than just a chemical charge?

My deeper question is what is love?  Is it a feeling? or an action?

In 1 Corinthians 13, love is defined as being:
Patient
Kind
Does not envy
Does not boast
Is not proud
It does not dishonor others
It is not self-seeking
It is not easily angered
It keeps no record of wrongs
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.

My belief is love is something that is actionable and not based on feelings or attraction.  Feelings and attraction drew me to my husband.  I thought he was handsome, really liked his lips, and his intelligence.  There is nothing sexier than intelligence not even the world's best sense of humor or six-pack.  However, I married Joe 'cause I knew his heart and he knew mine.  He was persistent in his pursuit of me.  I was eager to run from intimacy.  We chose to love each other, and we have that choice every day.

Feelings are unreliable.  My feelings change based on my sugar and caffeine intake.  One can't base their relationship on their feelings at any given moment.   I can appreciate the romantic feelings and endorphins when they come, but it can't be the foundation of our relationship.  Love has to have more depth than that.

I would much rather choose and experience a kind of love that "always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres."

Comments

Popular Posts