A Great Day, and an Even Better Statistics Teacher

I am excited to take advantage of my first posting on our blog to recount a great day that I had last week.  Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity / privilege to meet Hans Rosling.



Who is Hans Rosling?  Well he is probably as close to a rock star in the circles of analytics / statistics as you can get!  Its like a cyclist meeting Lance Armstrong, a Mac lover meeting Steve Jobs, or a stock investor meeting Warren Buffett.  He is probably the most featured person on TED, and you can learn more about him by checking out his TED bio - Han's TED Bio.

The thing that was so great about our time together, was our sharing of a mutual passion for learning, understanding the story that they data wants to tell, and then helping to let that data speak so that everyone understands its implications.  Just watch one of his videos (Han's Videos) and you will see what I mean.  His excitement for what could be some of the most mundane topics (global demographic trends, global poverty, global health) allow these subjects to come to life, and give you the desire learn more and to act.

All afternoon, I felt alive... learning, teaching, discussing, as we shared our mutual interests, passions, and dreamed about what could, and should, be possible!

And, do you know whats event better?  I got paid for doing it!  It was a day at work!  Isn't life wonderful!

Comments

  1. Joe, tell me what did you guys talked about, how did you contact him? This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome, yes how did you meet him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met him through work. We are collaborating on a project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, this is why I love Joe & Debbie so much. I love reading Joe's post about statistics and analysis, about the excitement of using complex methodologies to understand psychological and sociological patterns that would otherwise be impossible to discern. I share the same enthusiasm. And I equally love reading Debbie's posts about chocolate, fashion, and the aesthetic essences of life. You two are dear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts